#BandraLegacy Heritage Walk

Some of the beautiful, well preserved treasures of Mumbai are hidden in plain sight. The Heritage structures of Bandra combined with Hip artwork is a wonderful sight to behold. The old world charm has never left these villages. Hence we decided to explore Bandra’s Legacy on foot.

We knew that Bandra comprised of 7 Heritage villages

  1. Sherly
  2. Malla
  3. Rajan
  4. Kantwadi
  5. Waroda
  6. Ranwar
  7. Boran
  8. Pali
  9. Chuim

Some of villages are completely overtaken by Redevelopment, hence are very difficult to find.Also the best way to explore the area is on foot.

P.S. There are around 200 Photos, and you can fully appreciate it in Full Screen

Street Art Gallery

Heritage Gallery

More photos by friends who joined us for the walk.

  1. Dr. Ajay Pradhan (Wanderlust Adventures) – https://travelnew.tumblr.com/
  2. Paresh Soni (My Travel Adventures) – http://traveladventuresbyme.blogspot.in/

If you think we have missed some important heritage structure or artwork, or you have any suggestions, please let us know by leaving a comment below. Thank You.

(The Almost Complete) History of Bheru Tarak Tirth, Rajasthan

IMG_8056 copy
Bheru Tarak Dham (A Jain Temple)

Co-ordinates: –  24°36’57″N   72°40’28″E

The Bheru Tarak Dham is established in the valley of Nandgiri, the Arbudh as described in the ancient Indian literature. The whole valley represents a good settlement of Ashramas of Rishi Munis. From this valley the hilly track goes to Nakki Lake of Mount Abu. This track was used by Colonel Tod, the first european to visit Mt. Abu. This ancient track was the main source of supply of house hold goods to the inhabitants of Mount Abu. All the saints and religious tourists and the kings of various states of Rajputanas used this track for going to Abu. There were circuit houses of all the states of rajputana at Anadara, This was one of the old municipality of the rajputana established in 1868.

IMG_8075 copy

The rajwada road (road of the kings) was built and the traffic moved from this road to mount Abu, but the importance of Anadara valley was not reduced. Looking to the importance of this pious place, Sanghvi Tara Chand Mohan Lal and Lalit, sons of Smt. Sunder ben and Bhaimal Ji of Malgaon constructed a beautiful temple on a high pedestal. The inspiration to built this temple was given by the Jain Saint Acharya Gun Ratna Suri.

IMG_8077 copy

The temple is built of while marble dedicated to Shahastra Fana (one thousand hoods of serpent) of Parshavnath. The campus is having Dharmshala, BhojanShala and having all facilities for a religious tourists. A bus is operated from this place to Nakoda Tirth in Barmer district.

Just before you leave this place just take a look at the magnificent Entrance which was made recently with details which would mesmerize you.

IMG_8057 copy

IMG_8082 copy

IMG_8080 copy

cropped-img_8061-copy.jpg

IMG_8085 copy


IMG_8070 copy

IMG_8068

IMG_8067 copy

IMG_8061 copy

IMG_8066 copy

(The Almost Complete) History of Raj Bhavan, Mumbai

Do check out The Almost Complete Series for more historic places of Mumbai

G.P.S. Coordinates – 18°56’42.2″N 72°47’38.6″E

Introduction

Mumbai’s Raj Bhavan is the official residence of Governor of Maharashtra. Located in the plush Malabar Hill Area of Mumbai it occupies 50 acres of surroundings which includes many heritage bungalows, trees, large lawns and a beach.

Raj Bhavan Area

Approximately 50 Acres of Raj Bhavan

The Raj Bhavan has a precious collection of beautiful carpets, paintings, exquisitely carved doors and elegant french styled chairs and sofas with intricate portraits on them.

History

The place Malabar Hills could have got its name from the Pirates of Malabar (Refer the book The Pirates of Malabar, and An Englishwoman in India Two Hundred Years Ago ). As the coast of this area was a witness of major Naval Battles between the British Raj and Maratha Navy (which were also known as Pirates of Malabar at that time) (F.Y.I. Malabar Coastal region was accounted as the coastal area from Goa to South of India). The exact location of the Raj Bhavan is known as Malabar Point. This was the 3rd residence specially made for the Governor’s of Mumbai.

The First residence was Manor House (1665 – 1757) which lied at the heart of Bombay Castle between the Town Hall(Now Asiatic Library) and Old Customs House.

Mr. John Spencer’s (Youngest Son to the 3rd Earl of Sunderland) House was purchased as a new residence for the Governor in 1757. But the Governor Richard Bourchier (1750 -1760) wanted to stay away from the already congested area.

The Second Residence was located in Parel (1757 – 1897), where the Haffkine Institute now stands. It was then converted into Plague Hospital.

It is recorded that the Malabar Point was an occasional retreat for Governor William Medows (1788 – 1790) and Sir Evan Nepean (1812 – 1819)  who used to live in a small room in this area (probably a Hunting Lodge) . In 1880, Sir Richard Temple had already initiated the formal transfer of Government House from Parel to Malabar Point.

The early residence and office was known as Marine Villa, Sir Richard Temple had already shifted to this place. When the wife of Governor James Ferguson (1880 – 1885) died in Parel due to plague, the official residence was permanently shifted to Malabar Point.

Architecture

The Raj Bhavan consists of 5 Buildings.

1. Jal Bhushan

Built by Governor Mountstuart Elphinstone, the commanding citadel of Jal Bhushan is built on the foundation of a pretty cottage. Reginald Heber described this place as “a pretty cottage on a rocky and woody promontory actually washed by sea spray”.

Mountstuart Elphinstone built this place with French furniture, artistic wooden carpentry and exquisite paintings on the wall which magnifies the charm of Jal Bhushan. It also houses paintings by many Indian Masters.

2. Jal Chintan

Jal Chintan was once known as Point Bungalow. Jal Chintan resides at the edge of the cliff. It is the official residence for the visiting Prime Minister of India. It is said that it was Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s favourite abode.

3. Jal Lakshan

This residence is preserved for the President of India. Sir Bartle Frere had commissioned Theodore Jensen to paint a series of Maratha Warriors after the Mutiny of 1857. These paintings were then placed inside the building for a political standpoint which would make the leaders of India less hostile and make them accept British Sovereignty.

Jal Lakshan also has grand receiving rooms where the guests are invited to join the President who find themselves seated on grand furnitures gilded with Gold.

4. Jal Vihar

Jal Vihar is a Banquet Hall. The carved screens are designed to separate the dining area from the reception hall. The vaulted ceilings are now crowned with Ashoka Lion Emblems. The priceless persian carpets are inlaid with ancient motifs to give a look of Mughal Era.

5. Jal Sabhagraha

Jal Sabhagraha is the serene Durbar Hall of Raj Bhavan. It is a venue swearing ceremonies and other occasions.

Flora & Fauna

The Raj Bhavan houses 108 species of plants and trees, 35 species of butterflies, a huge variety of marine shells and many other plants and animals. The details of all Flora and Fauna found inside Raj Bhavan can be read in Flora & Fauna of Raj Bhavan-Mumbai by Naresh Chaturvedi

Do check out The Almost Complete Series for more historic places of Mumbai

Other Information

The place has its own Helipad and a swimming pool inside the mangroves which is cool.

Tourist entry is not allowed  in this place which is a very sad thing for history buffs.If someone has information on how to get entry inside the Raj Bhavan with official permissions and who to contact that would be really appreciated

References

Old Rajbhavan Mumbai Website

New RajBhavan Website 

The Pirates of Malabar, and An Englishwoman in India Two Hundred Years Ago by John Biddulph

 

 

General Information About Elephanta (Gharapuri) Caves

This information is written just outside Elephanta Caves

THE ISLAND OF ELEPHANTA, ORIGINALLY KNOWN AS GHARAPURI, DERIVES ITS NAME FROM A MASSIVE STONE IMAGE OF ELEPHANT NOW DISPLAYED IN THE “VEERMATA JIJABAI BHOSALE GARDEN” (VICTORIA GARDEN) IN MUMBAI. THE CAVE COMPLEX OF ELEPHANTA COMPRISES TOTAL 7 CAVES OF THEM FIVE ARE IN THE LOWER WESTERN SIDE WHILE 2 ARE AT THE EASTERN TOP OF THE HILLOCK. OUT OF 5 CAVES AT THE LOWER SIDE THE CAVE NO.1 IS EXCLUSIVELY CARVED WITH VARIOUS MANIFESTATION OF LORD SHIVA. IT CONSISTS OF A PILLARED HALL WITH A SMALL SHRINE AND FOUR ENTRANCE DOORS FLANKED BY THE GUARDIANS. WHILE THE MASSIVE BUT GRACEFUL FIGURES OF DIVINITIES, GUARDIANS, AND CERTAIN ARCHITECTURAL FEATURES SUCH AS THE SQUARE PILLAR WITH CUSHION CAPITALS SUGGEST CHALUKYAN INFLUENCE. THE DEPICTION OF MOUNTAINS AND CLOUDS AND THE HAIRSTYLES OF WOMAN ARE REMINISCENT OF GUPTA ART.

FACING NORTH, THIS MAIN CAVE CONSISTS OF A SANCTUM AND MASSIVE HALL DIVIDED INTO FIVE BAYS. THE EXCELLENT CARVED PANELS ON THE WALLS OF THIS CAVE INCLUDE THE YOGESHWARA ( LORD OF YOGA ), NATRAJA SHIVA ( COSMIC DANCER ), SHIVAPARVATI, ARDHANARISHWARA, GANGADHARA, ANDHAKASURAVADHA, RAVANANUGRAHA SHIVA, KALYANSUNDER MURTI AND MAHESHMURTI. THE CEILING OF THE MAIN CAVE IS BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN ORIGINALLY PAINTED WITH DIFFERENT COLORS. THE MAHESHAMURTI OF SHIVA IS DEPICTED ON THE SOUTH WALL WITH THREE ASPECTS OF CREATION, PROTECTION AND DESTRUCTION REVEALING A MASTERPIECE OF CHALUKYAN GUPTA ART.

THE CIRCULAR PEDESTAL IN THE OPEN COURTYARD MARKS THE SEAT OF NANDI (BULL) THE VEHICAL OF SHIVA. THE SIDE CAVE HAS A SMALL SHRINE AND A PRADAKSHINAPATHA (CIRCUMAMBULATORY PASSAGE) WITH AN INTERESTING PANEL OF ASHTAMATRIKAS (EIGHT MOTHER GODESSES) FLANKED BY KARTIKEYA AND GANESHA

THE OTHER CAVES ARE PLAIN AND LESSER EMBELLISHED. THE OTHER ANTIQUARIAN REMAINS FOUND IN THE ELEPHANTA CAVES ARE STUPA (3RD CENTURY B.C.) AT THE TOP OF THE HILLOCK, KSHATRAPA COINS OF THE 4TH CENTURY A.D. AND SOME SCULPTURES INCLUDING MAHISHASURMARDINI, FOUR HEADED IMAGE, BHRAHMA, VISHNU AND GARUDA.

THE SITE WAS DECLARED BY THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF INDIA AS A MONUMENT OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE VIDES NO. 2704-1, DATED – 26.5.1909 AND THEREAFTER INSCRIBED BY THE UNESCO AS A WORLD HERITAGE SITE IN 1987

Information Plaque outside the Caves

(The Almost Complete) History of The Bombay Presidency Radio Club

Just a 100 Meter walk from the Iconic Taj Hotel, at the end of the road, there lies an iconic but an almost forgotten piece of history. The Bombay Presidency Radio Club was India’s first radio station to broadcast first programmed radio. The broadcasting had begun in July 1923. This place was commonly known as Radio Club at that time.

1695

Source – Flickr / beedee eye

Up until 1927, it was a sole radio station in the City. It was a low powered radio station covering the area of 387 meters only. [On 23th July 1927, Aakashwani (Indian Broadcasting Company) was established].

A View from the Pier; Source – wonobo.com

The Club was then established in 1932 and promoted Radio hamming and Sailing. From its beginning till now, it serves only its members, serving good quality food and beverages for very lesser rates and has many facilities and hosts many social programs. It even has a sea facing restaurant and a pier which regularly has marriage and social functions. If you go searching for this club be sure to look properly as it may look as a residential building from outside but its wonderful on the inside.

Source

http://www.radioclub.in/aboutus.aspx